Setting a Golden Standard
Hornblower Niagara Cruises gets Gold certification for sustainable tourism
NIAGARA FALLS, Ont. — Hornblower Niagara Cruises has made a dedicated effort to reduce its environmental impact, which has paid off with a Gold certification from Sustainable Tourism 2030.
Previously certified with a silver recognition in 2017, Hornblower Niagara Cruises was upgraded to gold with an ongoing commitment to reduce its footprint, boost recycling and composting and operate with sustainability at the forefront. This is underscored by Hornblower’s Respect Our Planet, a company-wide initiative committed to clean air, clean water and a clean future.
“Our Hornblower team has worked hard to be more environmentally conscious in our operations,” says Mory DiMaurizio, Vice-President and General Manager of Hornblower Niagara Cruises. “From the clean-burning biodiesel engines in our twin catamarans Niagara Thunder and Niagara Wonder to recycling the red ponchos we use on our Voyage to the Falls and Falls Fireworks Cruise to installing best environmental practices across the entire business, while encouraging our guests to do the same.”
Sustainable Tourism 2030 is helping the global tourism industry make a difference and meet the growing traveller demand for responsible business. They do this by recognizing sustainability certifications and providing resources and support in areas of eco funding, carbon reduction and training,
The sustainability certification program for tourism operators recognizes their actions and commitment to sustainability with third-party verification and recommendations. This, in return, provides a consistent and credible message to travellers and locals alike.
Some of the environmental commitments made by Hornblower Niagara Cruises include:
- Recycling its red ponchos, food packaging made from biodegradable materials, minimizing food waste and a plastic straw ban. These efforts have helped Hornblower Niagara Cruises achieve an 88% waste diversion rate.
- Operating clean-burning, efficient biodiesel Tier 3 Scania engines on the Niagara Thunder and Niagara Wonder.
- Reducing paper use in their operations and by offering broader mobile ticketing for customers.
- Demonstrating Hornblower’s commitment to the environment through its earned 1SO 14001 certification for its strict environmental standards by ensuring its operations minimizes any negative impacts on the natural environment.
- Educating employees and visitors on Hornblower Niagara Cruises environmental activities and programs.
About Hornblower Niagara Cruises:
Hornblower Niagara Cruises, the official Boat Tour operator for the Niagara Parks in Niagara Falls, Canada, is a sister company of Hornblower Cruises and Events; a North American company based in San Francisco, California, with more than 100 vessels and 30 years of experience operating various types of marine services across the east and west coasts. As Canada’s most memorable visitor experience, the Niagara Falls boat tour operation hosts millions of visitors a year. In September 2018, Hornblower welcomed its 10 millionth visitor.
For more information, please call
Vice President, Public Relations – Enterprise
Email: [email protected]